My dear friend, Lindsey, Super-mom to the most adorable twin boys, sent me this recipe to try. Oh, it really was a little piece of heaven... I loved it!!!! I've actually never had baked potato soup... Crazy, I know!!! This makes enough to feed a herd of starving monkeys! We have lots and lots of left-overs which we have been diligent in eating. :)
Baked Potato Soup
Approximate prep time: 30 minutes (not including baking potatoes)
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 cups baked potatoes,or about 5 large potatoes (I added a couple more to make it thicker), peeled and cubed
4 green onions sliced then (I used chives from my garden - a handful. I might use more next time because I'd like a little more flavor)
8-12 strips bacon, according to your taste preferences, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz sour cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Melt butter in large stockpot. Add flour and stir until smooth over med. heat.
2. Add milk, stirring often until thickened. Be careful not to scorch.
3. Add potatoes and onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. (I added a bit of garlic powder here as well)
4. Remove from heat and add bacon, cheese, and sour cream. Stir until melted
5. Add seasonings and blend thoroughly.